Salad of Mozzarella
Tomatoes & Basil
Tomatoes & Basil
As the name might imply, this salad (antipasto) comes from the beautiful Island of Capri in the Bay of Naples. Well yes, this salad made of fresh Mozzarella, Tomatoes, and Basil (Baz-ZEE-na-gOl) is eaten all over this lovely island by both natives and the many tourist who go to Capri to delight in its natural beauty, make a pilgrimage to the famed Grotta Azzura, swim its pristine deep blue waters, and of course eat some tasty local food of which the Insalata Caprese is the most famous of all.
This salad is the easiest thing in the world to make, with the hardest part being to find perfect rip tomatoes to complement the fresh mozzarella and basil. Once you find good fresh rip tomatoes, and you’ve got your mozzarella and basil, all you have to do is slice the tomatoes and mozzarella and dress all with a little salt & pepper, the basil, and good quality Italian Olive Oil and you’re all set. Put on some nice Italian Music, get a nice bottle of white or red wine that comes from the region and you’re all set. Pretend you’re on Capri and you’re in Heaven.
HOW to MAKE IT
1 pound Fresh Mozzarella
3-4 ripe Salad Tomatoes (washed)
8 fresh Basil Leaves (washed & dried)
3 tablespoons Italian Olive Oil
Sea Salt & Black Pepper
1. Slice the Mozzarella into 8 equal slices.
2. Place the Basil leave one-on-top-of-the other. Roll them up. Slice the roll of basil leaves to get thin slices of Basil.
3. Put half the olive oil onto a plate. Slice the tomatoes into 12 equal slices. Place the tomato slices down on the plate of olive to coat each tomato slice with olive oil. Turn each slice over.
Sprinkle a little salt and black pepper over each slice of tomato. Evenly the Basil over all 12 slices of tomato.
4. Get 4 clean plates that you will be serving the Caprese Salad on.
5. Place one slice of tomato down on the plate. Then lay one slice of mozzarella halfway over the tomato slice. Add another slice of tomato to go halfway over the 1st slice of mozzarella, then place another slice of mozzarella halfway over the 2nd slice of tomato.
Place a 3rd and final slice of tomato over the 2nd slice of mozzarella. Repeat this process until you have four plates of Caprese Salad of equal portions. Serve to your guests and enjoy.
A UNIQUE WAY TO SERVE
FRESH MOZZARELLA TOMATO & BASIL
Humprhrey Bogart in Capri
During Filming of BEAT The DEVIL