I’ve been going to Positano and the Amalfi Coast of Italy since the Summer of 1985, when I made my first trip to Italy, France, Spain, and Europe as a young man in my early 20s. That frist trip was amazing, there’s nothing like being so young and taking a trip like that, when new everything feels so magical. It’s an feeling you just don’t get as you get older. Anyway, I’m a bit older, and though I can’t regain the same feelings of my youth, I still love the place (Positano) and going there is always so very nice.
Now the main point in this all, is unlike so many others who are blogging and writing about the magical town, very few could match my long history and experiences in Positano, on Capri, Rome and Naples, or anywhere on the Devine Coast of Amalfi. Yes, I have quite a lot of experiences in Positano over the years. I tell you about them, and make recommendations on where to stay (hotels), where to eat (Trattoria ‘s / Pizzeria ‘s & Bakeries), the Best Beaches, How to Get There and What to Do Once you are there on Positano or anywhere on the Amalfi Coast. You’ve got to go to Ravello, there’s a wonderful Lemon Farm Agriturismo that I go to in Minori, that’s a Hidden Gem few people know about. You’ve got to go to Pompeii, and a foray into Naples is highly recommend for a Pizza Crawl if you have the time. While on your trip to the Amalfi Coast area, I highly recommend staying two nights on Capri if you have the time. What I don’t recommend that highly is going to Capri just for a few hours, if you have the time, you must stay there to really appreciate the island and all its many charms.
My TOP POSITANO HOTELS
“If You Can Afford It?”
1. Le SIRENUSE
2. HOTEL SAVOIA
WHERE to EAT
“My Favorite Restaurants”
1. Da VINCENZO … My All-Time Favorite. Been Going since 1985. Spaghetti Vongole
2. BUCA d’ BACO … Great restaurant, great Hotel, Great Views & Great Food.
3. CHEZ BLACK .. The In-Spot. Great Pizza, People Watching & Spaghetti Nerano.
Yummy Food For Less
1. LATTERIA … Latteria (Italian Deli) is a wonderful little place, just a short way up the hill, on the Via Pastea, the main roadd of Positano. This wonderful little Salumeria has some of the Best Food in Positano, and at much cheaper prices than most. They make tasty Panini (Sandwiches), Arancini (Rice Balls), Frittata, and Melenzane Parmigiana (Baked Eggplant). You can buy Wine and Fresh Fruit and bottled water here. There is a wonderful little spot to eat outside (Limited Seating) or you take your prepared-food and grocery’s back tot you hotel or apartment.
1. Le SCOGLIERA BEACH CLUB is my all-time Favorite Beach to go to in Positano. It’s a bit of splurge treat, and I split my beach time in Positano between this beach and the FREE BEACH at FORNILLO BEACH. Yes, it’s a bit expensive, but I’ve been going here since my first trip, and it’s a special treat to myself whenever I spend the extra cash to go there.
2. My 2nd favorite Beach in Positano, is the Free Beach at Fornillo Beach where I used to go with my friend Nicoletta way back in 1986. There’s also a Private Beach area, where you pay to rent a Chaise Loung. I like the free part better, and when I to spend the cash for a private beach, I go to Le SCOGLERA BEACH CLUB next to “Music O The Rock.”
READ MORE on The BEST BEACHES of POSITANO on POSITANO-AMALFI-COAST.com
BEST BARS For APERTIVO or Anytime
1. The BAR at The POSEIDON HOTEL .. Great view * Crowd and Cheaper than FRANCO’S BAR at Le SIRNEUSE HOTEL
2. FRANCO’S BAR .. Great spot for your evening apertivo, with a Spectacular View and equally spectacular prices (expensive) to match. It quite nice, but persoally, I like the Bar on Terrace of The Hotel Poseidon. It’s cheaper too!
View from The TERRAZZO
HOTEL POSEIDON BAR
The REAL POSITANO BLACK BOOK
POSITANO The AMALFI COAST
COOKBOOK / TRAVEL GUIDE
The REAL POSITANO BLACK BOOK